In 1864 the citizens of the Jan Juc village citizens received a gift of five acres from the Governor of Victoria to be reserved for a cemetery but there were burials in 1860. Prior to 1860 burials were either lone or at Mt Moriac. The first Trustees were Joseph Gundry, Alexander Butler, Andrew Edwards, George Helyar and John Wood. The name was changed to Bellbrae Cemetery in 1923 when the township was renamed. Many early settlers and pioneers are interred in this cemetery. Other early marked graves include Eleanor and Thomas Caldwell and Samuel and Mary Pook. In 2014 The Trust, with support from a Surf Coast Shire Community grant, produced and installed a series of historic plaques commemorating sixteen pioneer and community graves.