Torquay Surf Life Saving Club
Torquay Surf Life Saving Club was established in 1946, one of the oldest clubs in Australia and is at the forefront of lifesaving service with Torquay Beach being one of the busiest beaches in Victoria. Its beginnings were as early as 1899 when the Torquay Improvement Association asked the Royal Human Society for a lifebuoy for the safety of picnickers and holidaymakers. In 1922 a representative from the Royal Life Saving Society spoke at a meeting in Torquay and the Torquay Life Saving Club was formed with premises in a bathing box on the Front Beach. By 1932 membership of the club had dropped dramatically and it went into recession. It was not until after WW2 in 1945 that various meetings took place amongst camping ground members with a resolution a lifesaving club be re-established. The first meeting was held at the Palace Hotel in 1946 with the club to be known as the Torquay Surf Life Saving Club to be situated on the Surf Beach. The first surf boat was obtained from Southport SLSC Qld in 1947. The boat was so heavy it took 20 men to launch it. It was in use until 1952. The first Victorian Surf Living Saving Championships were held at Torquay in February 1948.